Sunday 19 June 2011

Insert dodgy 'launch pad' pun here.

Comics Launch Pad then, eh? What a cracking day.

I'm still trying to digest everything that went on and work out what should happen next - I suppose the best place to start would be to thank Shane Chebsey and chums for organising the whole thing.

It was a bit different to other shows I've been to, and in a good way - without the big sales hall side that usually accompanies these things there was a much greater sense of it just being a big creative hub for writers and artists to pal around, chat and talk about the future. I spoke to quite a few excellent people I've not met before, so there was much exchanging of cards and such.

I even took in a few talks. Mike Carey's was insightful. It was geared a little more towards people who are just starting to write, but there was still a good chunk of the talk that was useful, and there was a lot for me to bear in mind - oddly enough, some of the stuff he said about how captioning and narration has changed is going to be handy when writing the script for 'Broken Smile', so that was well timed. Joey Cavalieri's talk was also incredibly useful. He said some very helpful things regarding how to go about getting published that I'll be bearing in mind in the future.

So lots to think about, and just as much to follow up on. I'll be spending most of my spare time for the next couple of weeks sending emails to folks and hunching over my keyboard.

But probably not today. Taking in a comics show where one must stay upright and chatty when one is quite poorly does take it out of one. I didn't roll out of bed until this afternoon, and I still feel like crap. I think I shall be remaining horizontal and stationary for the rest of the day.

1 comment:

  1. HI Darren,

    Sorry to miss you over the day. I was hoping you would pop into the Comic Book Alliance room and we could've gone through Hudson Falls together. Feel free to drop me a line to discuss.

    Tim Pilcher.

    ReplyDelete