Sunday 19 February 2012

Happenings on and off the Bayou

The Bayou Arcana machine continues to trundle along, garnering more and more attention. I've been confirmed as a guest at Kapow in London in May where I'll be one of the panellists for the BA talk. Here's hoping I don't make a tit out of myself. I have a feeling that the majority of the questions will be directed at and fielded by the female creators and by Jimmy, so I'm not worried too much.

The official announcement on the Kapow webisite is here.

Some more Bayou Arcana links to throw down here, too.
Preorder at Amazon.
...or at Markosia's own website.
And finally, the official Blog/Website of the creative group behind it.

In other Bayou Arcana news, it's not all been ice cream and balloons. Regrettably, "Comfort and Joy" - the story I wrote for it - will not appear in its entirety. Instead, several pages will be included as a lead-in preview-type-thing for Volume 2, in which it will appear. It's disappointing, and the reasons why are things I think everyone would prefer me to not broadcast online, but there is a significant upside to the situation. I still get credit, I still get whatever cut I was originally due to receive, and I now have a guaranteed place, credit and payout for a volume 2 that I didn't even know was happening. So every cloud and all that.

Outside of the swamp, work advances slowly but surely on "Broken." I'm into the meat of the story now, having got a good introductory sequence sorted, and now I can get properly stuck in. It's been an extraordinarily precise business to write, this one - because the plot is dependant on the slow release of pivotal bits of information as the story progresses, and because of the very narrow page count, I've had to keep extremely focused on hitting all the points I need to cover in each scene as efficiently as possible.

The end result, so far, has been a story that doesn't mess around, gets straight to the point, builds the characters into the story rather than the story around the characters, which is how I usually work, and despite being my usual wordy stuff, is pretty visual as befits my 'show don't tell' rule. I'm really enjoying the way it's coming together. The pace of the work isn't as fast as I'd like, and I'm still only about a fifth of the way through draft 1, but I think the work will start coming a bit thicker and faster from now on.

In any case, I'm tired, so I'm spending the rest of my weekend dossing around and playing video games, so be off with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment