Wednesday 20 June 2012

Rewrites are hard sometimes.

Started the process on Hudson Falls tonight, and it's already apparent that it's going to be a bigger job than I originally thought, or maybe hoped. A lot of it is quite weak, to be honest. My lead is inconsistent in characters and fairly unappealing, some of the supporting cast are a bit thin and thematically it needs to be retooled.

I sat down and worked out a new structure, just roughly for now, but I'll be expertly moulding it into a compelling narrative over the coming days and weeks. A lot of the scenes work when taken individually, but don't really fit together very well, and certainly not in the order in which they currently occur. There's going to be a lot of rejigging of the chronology to make it a bit firmer and more focused. There's now a steady acceleration of urgency in the events until they reach the climax, which is quite different to the original. A bit more open ended and a bit less trite.

All in all, From the feel of the new outline the end result is going to be less sluggish altogether and more of a thriller than an outright drama.

One interesting thing - I'm not 100% convinced it's a comic book any more. Part of me is saying it might work even better as a novel, but that's probably just me getting ahead of myself. Needless to say, I'll be writing it as a comic book first and will see how it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment