Sunday 22 January 2012

Demons! I have slain your mighty guards!

...God, I love writing lines like that.

So, after a week or so of fretting over lettering, the submission I was working on with Jack Tempest is complete and submitted to Clint. Now it's in their hands and we just have to wait and see, but now that it's finished I don't feel at all hesitant about putting samples up here, so this blog is about to get a bit more colourful, with pictures and everything.
See?

Jack's art has been great on this one, as you'll be able to see in this blog entry. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Clint feel the same way. You can check out more of Jack's work, and news about his upcoming projects on his blog.
In other news, things chug along. I'm not mucking about, and next week I get on with the next submisson, which is the new submission pack I prepared for Come & See, off for it's second attempt with some American publishers after a number of years on standby. I've decided I've had enough of faffing around. This year I want progress, and if it means I have to bombard publishers with my stuff then so be it.

Once the Come & See thing is done, which should be by this time next week, it's time to get stuck into the script for Accent. I still have Hudson Falls, which was the original script but turned out too long, but that's not one I'd like to cut down. So onto the backburner it goes, waiting for the time to be right. I have a new script to write for Accent, and I want to crank this one out hard and fast with no procrastinating or messing around so I have a good few months to do something else.

And by something else, I mean a novel. I was supposed to start it last year, but one thing after another happened and I had to shelve a lot of my schedule. Getting back on track I learned that Terry Pratchett has an award this year for new writers' debut novels, with a deadline of New Year's Eve.

So I have a deadline. I can DO deadlines. Less time wasting, a definitive deadline, and a net result of a completed book. Even if it doesn't win, I'll be armed with something I can do something with in 2013.

Beyond that, in comic book terms this year is all about exploration and putting feelers out. I'll be attending as many cons as it is economically responsible to, and I'll be at those events with my game face on, looking to aquire further projects to keep my comic book momentum going while the majority of my runtime is devoted to the novel.

It may sound like I'm planning on spreading myself a little thin, and maybe I am. Time will tell. But it's a definite improvement on last year, where I didn't spread myself at all.
Indeed. And of course, in amongst all this mighty guard-slaying I'll be doing, I'll have to find time to indulge in my gaming/DVD/reading habits, which I haven't been doing anywhere near enough of.

Uncharted 3, Batman Arkham City, Picture of Dorian Grey and season 3 of Northern Exposure all sit around me, wondering why I'm not giving them the attention they deserve. I need to start getting paid for this writing schtick so I can free up more time for all my hobbies...

No comments:

Post a Comment