Sunday 29 July 2012

Of Couse I'll Wonder

It's been of a bit of a mad week, truth be told, and not for writerly reasons. However, for those non-writerly reasons I unfortunately have nothing new to report. Curses.

One thing I did do was watch the Olympic "Isles of Wonder" opening ceremony. That was interesting. I was a bit pissed when I did, so at the time just let the noise wash over me and assumed that it'd probably make sense later. Then I watched it again and realised: Oh, no. It genuinely was that odd. Liked it, though.

Which is strange because I don't think I was supposed to. It'd be easy to be very cynical about it. It gave the cynic a lot of ammunition with which to be cynical - it was cloying, twee and occasionally a bit smug. But that's the point of Olympic opening ceremonies and criticising them for that reason is like slagging off the sea because you went for a swim in it and got your hair wet.

An Olympic ceremony basically broadcasts a nation's self-image to the world, and what Danny Boyle chose to broadcast was garish, eclectic and just a little unfathomable. So job's a good 'un, then. God help the overseas commentators trying to explain some of that to their home audiences.

The Industrial Revolution section was the highlight. Mostly because it played out like a live production of The Scouring of The Shire. Kenneth Brannagh's sideburns were a happy bonus.

But there was a disappointing lack of Iron Maiden. Gutted.

No comments:

Post a Comment