Sunday 17 October 2010

A little bit more...

Yesterday didn't start well, I have to admit. While waiting for my train in the morning, I was stood on the platform minding my own business when a pigeon shat on my arm.

"Oh," I thought. "It's going to be one of those days, isn't it?"

It didn't get much better when I got to the show. As I was doing my usual silent circuit of the show before talking to or buying anything, someone shouted for my attention. It turned out to be a pretty girl sat behind a desk with an open portfolio on top, who wanted to complement me on my brilliant Legend of Zelda T-shirt. As well she might - it is a fine T-shirt, but so surprised was I by this peculiar event I turned into a giggling ninny incapable of speech and immediately turned away to leave, tripping over my own feet in the process.

I am graceful.

I went back later. She was away having lunch. Her portfolio was full of Legend of Zelda fanart.

Feeling like a bit of a pillock after that, I decided I simply wasn't ready to be meeting new people and ran away for a pick-me-up at the cafe, and after that, things got better and I made less of a fool of myself.

Firstly I was accosted by the incredibly enthusiastic Tom McNally, who effectively pressganged me into buying his comics through sheer force of personality. If you want a wonderful example of comic show salesmanship, head over to the Little Old Man Comics table at any of these events. They are quite, quite mad, and their comics are funny. Mental, but funny. Check them out at www.littleoldman.com.

Next, I meandered around a bit and found the Accent UK table for a nice, productive chat with Colin and Dave. I also picked up copies of their books 'Whatever Happened to the World's Fastest Man?' and 'The Man of Glass', both of which are excellent and come wholeheartedly recommended.

After further wanderings, I found Jenika Ioffreda's table for a chat and to pick up #5 of Vampire Free Style and a cute little badge. I was looking forward to reading it when I got home, but unfortunately couldn't. Idiot Me had completely forgotten that I haven't bought or read #4 yet, so I'm hoping Jenika has a table at Leeds next month so I can complete the collection, or I'm stuck without my dose of VFS until next year.

So the day started to improve. I'll tell you all about that later today in a following post.

No comments:

Post a Comment