Friday 15 October 2010

Musing on past projects

I've been doing a bit of homework recently, in preparation for BICS this weekend.  As Christian has been playing about with the website quite a bit this week (more on that in a later post), I've been keeping busy by reading through some of my old work from a way back, and it's become apparent to me that my script for "Come & See" could use a bit of lick and spit.

"Come & See" is one of the ongoing projects of Roland's and mine whose page isn't quite ready for the website, but you'll see some stuff about it soon. It's a big project that Roland and I have had on the back burner for a while, and frustratingly it's one of those things where other things have just kind of queued up in front of it and pushed it away. A guilty part of me thinks I might have been ignoring it because I knew it needed work.

It's not the first time I've taken a second look at it, either. I rewrote the first part of it about 18 months ago, back before I got to work on the big script I've mentioned before. That rewrite was from a script that I wrote several years earlier. It's feels like it, too. It reads like a script by the me of 2001, that the 2008 me knocked into shape in a slightly lazy way.

I like to think that I've come along as a writer a fair bit since then, and as it's a project that's quite dear to me I'm going to stall the kids book until after Christmas and spend the next couple of months working on this one. It will definitely benefit from a little love and care, and who knows, a proper Version 2 of the script might get a bit more attention than it did the first time round the block.

I'll be on a comic-writing high for at least a couple of weeks after BICS this weekend, so I may as well harness that positivity and put it to good use.

No comments:

Post a Comment