Sunday 25 March 2012

The End of The Tunnel

Almost there, but not quite. The final scene for 'Broken' is written, but it's not quite as final as I'd expected. The fight has been won, but something more like a proper, independent denouement is required to draw together the themes and give the story the closure it needs.

I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting everything to be tied up in the final moments as written, but unfortunately it didn't work out like that. All relevant plot and character points have been covered, but where it is doesn't feel like the end of the story. It's odd how sometimes that happens and you realise you still have a little more to do.

It's no bother. As it is, it's only 47 pages long, so I've got a couple of pages spare. I've also stripped the last moments of the final confrontation of dialogue almost completely, leaving me with room to caption the ending, so all in all I've got about 4 pages to work with. I think I can do it in two.

I think it might work out well - the opening scenes are narrated via captioning, which fell by the wayside not far into the story as the dialogue ended up doing a lot of its work. It might be a nice echo to the first scenes to bring it back for another internal monologue at the end of the story.

I'll get it done tomorrow night. My brain is fried from today's efforts already, and I don't have it in me to do any more. And then it's on with the rewrite. That's going to be fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment